Jack Wylie was raised a Master Mason in Jewel P. Lightfoot Lodge on May 30, 1946. Working as a truck driver for Central Freight Lines prevented him from attending lodge on a regular basis.
Around 1967, Jack saw the need for a lodge that would meet on Saturday mornings, thus enabling men who worked nights or traveled during the week, to have the opportunity to attend lodge meetings. He began to research the necessary requirements to be granted a Charter from the Grand Lodge of Texas.
Jack approached Brother Thomas Harold Callan, Vice President and General Manager of Central Freight Lines in Dallas concerning a vacant room over the cafeteria at the Dallas terminal. An agreement was reached that a Masonic Lodge could indeed lease the space for $1.00 per year. This speaks to the generosity of the Callan family, Central Freight Lines and the persuasive demeanor of Brother Wylie.
At that time Jack began recruiting Master Masons in the area who would be willing to affiliate to meet the required number of members in order to charter a new lodge. After gaining permission from lodges within the district, scavenging furniture and other implements that make up the interior of a lodge room and meeting the remaining requirements too numerous to expound on, James V. Callan Da-Lite Lodge #1422 was set to work in June 1968, and received its charter from the Grand Lodge of Texas at its annual communication in December 1968.
Through Brother Wylie’s efforts, men in the freight, airlines, police, fire, professional services and many others who work in the evening hours and/or travel during the work week, now have a lodge to meet as Masons.
Callan Da-Lite Lodge #1422 exists today due to the commitment, dedication and efforts of many individuals, but we will always remember Jack Wylie as the driving force behind Callan Da-Lite Lodge #1422.
Callan Lodge relocated in 1993 to Lovefield Lodge property at Midway and Capps Drive in Dallas.